Our Accredited Skills in Health Coaching programme is for individuals who want to undertake a dedicated health coaching role, or work in a specialised health coaching service
Next dates (VIRTUAL)
Our November 2020 cohort dates are 27th November & 4th December 2020, 14th January & 25th January 2021. Our January 2021 cohort dates are 29th January, 5th February, 22 February & 5th March 2021. Please contact us for more information or to apply.
Who is this programme for?
Our 4 day Accredited Skills in Health Coaching programmes are designed for individuals who want to become “health coaches”, and organisations that want to develop dedicated roles in health coaching, or a specialised health coaching service, or when they want to develop internal health coaching champions and trainers. It is suitable for practitioners from all health, care, community and voluntary sectors.
What do participants learn?
The focus of the programmes is on supporting practitioners to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to integrate health coaching into their current roles to support personalised care.
The programme will cover:
- Structuring conversations using a coaching approach
- Understanding the psychological basis of coaching and its application in health and care settings
- Active listening, effective questioning and supportive challenge skills
- Building trust and rapport and the implications for behaviour change
- Shared agenda setting, collaborative goal setting and effective follow up planning
- Detailed understanding of self-management support and associated techniques
- Detailed understanding of the core concepts and principles of personalised care, shared decision making, patient activation, health behaviour change, self-efficacy, intrinsic motivation and assets-based approaches
- Proficiency in a wide range of health coaching tools, techniques, skills and mindsets
- The principles and application of positive psychology
- Providing information and supporting adherence using a coaching style
- Understanding behaviour change approaches and working positively with resistance to change and ambivalence
- Understanding when health coaching is an effective approach and its limitations
- Tailoring interventions to lower levels of health literacy and different levels of activation
- Roles and boundaries in delivering health coaching
- Health coaching as a consultation model and associated skills in time management, programmatic and sessional goals, problem solving, record keeping, etc.,
- A wide range of health coaching models, conversation frames and techniques and the ability to deploy them appropriately
- Advanced skills practice in health coaching models, conversation frames and techniques with constructive feedback from expert practitioners
- Practical Skills Assessment and feedback
- Action-planning to deliver health coaching into your specific role in a way that’s consistent with the values and expectations of your setting
What will the programme experience include?
The programme is generally structured as a 4 separate day-long workshops, delivered over a period of 2-4 months to allow participants to practice their developing skills. Prior to the workshop participants are onboarded through a online session and reflective briefing pack.
This is a highly interactive programme with an emphasis on skill practice and development. The programme will be delivered using a highly participative and experiential learning process supported by expert input. We will create many opportunities to practice skills and challenge participants to identify how they can apply their learning to their own work place settings. Further, the programme will provide an opportunity for participants to discuss applications of health coaching in your system, develop relationships and network together with the intention of creating a community of practice.
We emphasise skills for embedding health coaching through on-going practice, reflection and planning as reflexive practitioners. We follow-up these programmes with webinars and online learning sessions or a series of e-learning based health coaching shots that comprise brief inputs and memory aids to support participants in the application of their learning after the workshop.
How is this programme accredited?
- Is accredited by the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC) at the Foundation Level. To receive this EQA award, participants are required to pass a skills assessment, demonstrate evidence of practice and undertake reflection about practice. With additional practice hours, participants can then apply for an individual accreditation (EIA) with the EMCC. The programme can be a progression route to our other health coaching and coaching programmes
- Is approved by the UK Health Coaches Association
- Is recognised as industry best practice through Better Conversation, and NHS National Innovation Accelerator programme
- Is approved by the Personalised Care Institute
- Meets the training standards for people delivering dedicated stand-alone health coaching services as recommended by NHS England and NHS Improvement Health Coaching: Implementation and Quality Summary Guide
- Can be officially approved for CPD by professional bodies
Find out more about TPC Health
We recognise that every individual is unique. Talk to us to find out more about how we can advise you on the most suitable option for learning to be a health coach.