An accredited programme for dedicated health coaching roles and health coaching services
Who is this programme for?
Our 4 day Accredited Skills in Health Coaching programmes are designed for individuals who want to become “health coaches”, and organisations that want to develop dedicated roles in health coaching, or a specialised health coaching service, or when they want to develop internal health coaching champions and trainers. It is suitable for practitioners from all health, care, community and voluntary sectors.
What do participants learn?
The focus of the programmes is on supporting practitioners to develop the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to integrate health coaching into their current roles to support personalised care.
The programme will cover:
- Structuring conversations using a coaching approach
- Understanding the psychological basis of coaching and its application in health and care settings
- Active listening, effective questioning and supportive challenge skills
- Building trust and rapport and the implications for behaviour change
- Shared agenda setting, collaborative goal setting and effective follow up planning
- Detailed understanding of self-management support and associated techniques
- Detailed understanding of the core concepts and principles of personalised care, shared decision making, patient activation, health behaviour change, self-efficacy, intrinsic motivation and assets-based approaches
- Proficiency in a wide range of health coaching tools, techniques, skills and mindsets
- The principles and application of positive psychology
- Providing information and supporting adherence using a coaching style
- Understanding behaviour change approaches and working positively with resistance to change and ambivalence
- Understanding when health coaching is an effective approach and its limitations
- Tailoring interventions to lower levels of health literacy and different levels of activation
- Roles and boundaries in delivering health coaching
- Health coaching as a consultation model and associated skills in time management, programmatic and sessional goals, problem solving, record keeping, etc.,
- A wide range of health coaching models, conversation frames and techniques and the ability to deploy them appropriately
- Advanced skills practice in health coaching models, conversation frames and techniques with constructive feedback from expert practitioners
- Practical Skills Assessment and feedback
- Action-planning to deliver health coaching into your specific role in a way that’s consistent with the values and expectations of your setting
Content will be discussed with commissioners in advance and will be tailored to meet the needs of your specific service, organisation or system.
What will the programme experience include?
The programme is generally structured as 4 separate day-long workshops, delivered over a period of 2-4 months to allow participants to practice their developing skills. Prior to the workshop participants are onboarded through an online session and reflective briefing pack.
This is a highly interactive programme with an emphasis on skill practice and development. The programme will be delivered using a highly participative and experiential learning process supported by expert input. We will create many opportunities to practice skills and challenge participants to identify how they can apply their learning to their own work place settings. Further, the programme will provide an opportunity for participants to discuss applications of health coaching in your system, develop relationships and network together with the intention of creating a community of practice.
We emphasise skills for embedding health coaching through on-going practice, reflection and planning as reflexive practitioners. We follow-up these programmes with webinars and online learning sessions or a series of e-learning based health coaching shots that comprise brief inputs and memory aids to support participants in the application of their learning after the workshop.
How is this programme accredited?
- Is approved by the Personalised Care Institute
- Meets the standards for training health, social care and voluntary sector staff to use health coaching skills as recommended by NHS England and NHS Improvement Health Coaching: Implementation and Quality Summary Guide
- Is accredited by the European Mentoring and Coaching Council (EMCC) at the Foundation Level. To receive this EQA award, participants are required to pass a skills assessment, demonstrate evidence of practice and undertake reflection about practice. With additional practice hours, participants can then apply for an individual accreditation (EIA) with the EMCC. The programme can be a progression route to our other health coaching and coaching programmes
- Is approved by the UK Health Coaches Association
- Can be officially approved for CPD by professional bodies
- Is recognised as industry best practice through Better Conversation, and NHS National Innovation Accelerator programme
Our Health Coaching model
The effective provision of health coaching requires practitioners to integrate three areas
Our track record and expertise
A TPC Health Coaching training will give you access to the most experienced providers of Health Coaching training in the UK
Our application of Health Coaching
Health coaching is an umbrella term used to describe many different interventions
Our partnership with Better Conversation
We are proud to be the industry partners for Better Conversation. The movement has been led by our colleague Dr. Penny Newman.
Find out more about TPC Health
We recognise that each organisation is unique. Please contact us to discuss your needs and we’ll be pleased to design a solution with you.